Indian men in Archery World Cup final
Kolkata: Indian men erased bitter memory of the past by sailing into the final of the recurve team event in the Archery World Cup Stage IV, ousting hosts China in the semifinal at Shanghai.
India will face Japan in the summit-clash for the gold medal tomorrow.
Indian men`s recurve side comprising Jayanta Talukdar, Tarundeep Rai and Rahul Banerjee, ensured a final berth with a thumping 222-214 win over China, according to information received here from the Archery Association of India (AAI).
The men`s team had returned empty-handed from the World Cup Stage III at Ogden after losing the quarterfinal to the hosts USA.
This time India`s first round victim was Great Britain, one of the strong contenders at the Commonwealth Games, as they notched a 218-215 victory.
Incidentally, India beat USA 225-208 in the quarterfinal to avenge their loss in the last edition.
Japan shocked world champion Korea 224-216 to make the final.
Meanwhile, Indian women`s recurve side, consisting of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Dola Banerjee, went down to Japan 212-213 in the initial round.
The women`s trio had won silver at Ogden.
In the compound section, the men`s team of C Srither, Ch Jagnas and Ritul Chatterjee, were ousted by Malaysia 218-224.
The women`s outfit of Jhano Hansdah, Bheigyabati Chanu and Gagandeep Kaur made a quarterfinal exit after going down to the USA 218-226.
The women`s trio defeated New Zealand 216-200 in their opening round clash.
Indian recurve mixed pair of Talukdar and Deepika, seeded third, went down to 14th seed Mexico 142-145.
Compound duo of K Ratan Singh and Hansdah, ranked 10th, ousted Italy 153-151 in the first round but lost to the USA 150-154 in the last eight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!