Indian professionals to get easy short-term visas from Korea
New Delhi: With the signing of a comprehensive India-South Korea free trade agreement, Indian professionals from 160 sectors such as IT and engineering would now be able to get easy short-term Korean visas.
The Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) was signed between India and South Korea on August 7 and it not only covers trade in goods but also encompasses free flow of services and investment between the countries.
The services, which contribute around 55 percent of India`s GDP, are of key interest to the country and needed a push which the CEPA would provide.
"Korea has agreed to provide short-term visas to contractual service suppliers and independent professionals," a senior Commerce Ministry official said.
Industry body Ficci also said that the pact would facilitate market access for Indian services providers and professionals.
"We are expecting that not only IT sector but also engineering, finance and legal services will be benefited in the Korean market," Ficci Secretary General Amit Mitra said.
Korea`s total import of services was worth USD 90 billion in 2008. "If we can manage to capture 8 to 10 percent of that, it will give a boost to the services industry," Mitra said.
In 2007-08, India exported USD 2.85 billion worth of goods to South Korea, posting a rise of 13.5 percent over the previous year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information