Indian shooters harassed by WC organisers
New Delhi: In a shocking incident, the Indian shooting contingent was harassed by the organisers of the ISSF World Cup in Dorset, UK which forced the team manager M Padmanabhan to shot off a letter to the High Commission in London.
In his letter to the Indian High Commissioner in London,
Padmanabhan brought to light the frequent harassment the
He said ace trap shooter and Commonwealth Games gold
medallist Manavjit Singh Sandhu was insulted by the transport
supervisor Mike, who asked the Olympian to get off the bus.
"Our Indian shooters were in the process of boarding the
bus from the ranges to the official hotel when the driver
slammed the door shut on the Indian shooter waiting outside
and left him at the range. When the other shooters on the bus
strongly objected, the driver turned back and went to the
supervisor of the transport dept, Mr Mike.”
"Mr Mike then returned to the bus and yelled and screamed
at our shooters and insulted them. He was very very rude and
threatened the team with dire circumstances. He then addressed
our Indian World Champion and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Mr
Manavjit Singh and told him to get off the bus. He refused
saying that the bus was the official transport and not his
personal vehicle. Mr. Mike then threatened him by saying that
the Indian Team will not be allowed to take the bus tomorrow
morning," Padmanabhan wrote in his letter to the High
"Two days earlier the same transport department had
forced our two women shooters, Ms Shreyasi and Ms Shagun to
get off the bus. They were humiliated thus in front of all
other competing nations," the letter, released by NRAI, said.
Padmanabhan requested the High Commission to take up the
matter with the Organizing Committee so that Indian shooters
do not have to face more embarrassment.
"We are feeling very harassed and cannot believe that we
are being treated this way. We request that you may take this
matter up with the Organising Committee of the ISSF World Cup,
Dorset. We are feeling very insecure, insulted and threatened
in the current atmosphere and the shooters will be unable to
give their best at their events," Padmanabhan signed off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview