Indian shuttlers off to winning start in World Badminton
London: Indian shuttlers made a strong start to their World Badminton campaign, winning their respective encounters comfortably on the opening day of the event here today.
Ajay Jayaram beat 15th seed Kenichi Tago of Japan 21-12, 21-19, in a 40-minute first round contest.
The unseeded Indian will next meet Vladimir Ivanov of Russia who defeated Michal Matejka of Slovakia 21-10, 21-6 in another opening round match.
In women`s doubles, Commonwealth Games gold medallist combination of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated American pair of Eva Lee and Paula Lynn Obanana 21-9, 21-18 to advance to the second round.
The experienced India duo now runs into the second seeded Chinese Taipei pair of Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien who got a first round bye.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details