Indian shuttlers off to winning start in World Badminton
London: Indian shuttlers made a strong start to their World Badminton campaign, winning their respective encounters comfortably on the opening day of the event here today.
Ajay Jayaram beat 15th seed Kenichi Tago of Japan 21-12, 21-19, in a 40-minute first round contest.
The unseeded Indian will next meet Vladimir Ivanov of Russia who defeated Michal Matejka of Slovakia 21-10, 21-6 in another opening round match.
In women`s doubles, Commonwealth Games gold medallist combination of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated American pair of Eva Lee and Paula Lynn Obanana 21-9, 21-18 to advance to the second round.
The experienced India duo now runs into the second seeded Chinese Taipei pair of Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien who got a first round bye.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!