Indian spy keen to meet ex-prison mate Zardari
Kolkata: Having once stayed with Asif Ali
Zardari in the Karachi Central Jail, Mehboob Elahi, a former
India spy, was keen to meet the Pakistani President during his
visit to Delhi on Sunday to raise the issue of Indian prisoners
of war languishing in jails across the border.
Elahi says he wrote to Shahid Malik, Pakistan High
Commissioner in India, and President Pratibha Patil seeking
appointment with Zardari to draw his attention to the Indian
prisoners` plight but did not get any reply.
The 52-year-old, who had spent two decades in several
Pakistani prisons from 1977 after being caught spying for
India, had stayed together in the Pakistani jail with Zardari
for two-three months in the late 1980s.
"On Sundays, I used to meet him and other leaders of
Pakistan People`s Party (PPP) in their cells. He was not only
familiar with the issues of POWs, but was also sympathetic to
us," Elahi, who now stays in Kolkata, told PTI.
He recalls that Zardari and other leaders were generous to
him and used to offer him coffee, fruits and biscuits besides
arranging for soaps and oil.
"In Pakistani jails, POWs are kept under inhuman
condition. They are not even given basic facilities to keep
them alive. We have to survive somehow," Elahi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended