Indian spy keen to meet ex-prison mate Zardari
Kolkata: Having once stayed with Asif Ali
Zardari in the Karachi Central Jail, Mehboob Elahi, a former
India spy, was keen to meet the Pakistani President during his
visit to Delhi on Sunday to raise the issue of Indian prisoners
of war languishing in jails across the border.
Elahi says he wrote to Shahid Malik, Pakistan High
Commissioner in India, and President Pratibha Patil seeking
appointment with Zardari to draw his attention to the Indian
prisoners` plight but did not get any reply.
The 52-year-old, who had spent two decades in several
Pakistani prisons from 1977 after being caught spying for
India, had stayed together in the Pakistani jail with Zardari
for two-three months in the late 1980s.
"On Sundays, I used to meet him and other leaders of
Pakistan People`s Party (PPP) in their cells. He was not only
familiar with the issues of POWs, but was also sympathetic to
us," Elahi, who now stays in Kolkata, told PTI.
He recalls that Zardari and other leaders were generous to
him and used to offer him coffee, fruits and biscuits besides
arranging for soaps and oil.
"In Pakistani jails, POWs are kept under inhuman
condition. They are not even given basic facilities to keep
them alive. We have to survive somehow," Elahi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report