Indian women archers make it to London Olympics
Kolkata: Indian recurve women`s team of
Laishram Bombayla Devi, Deepika Kumari and Chekrovolu Swuro
on Wednesday earned three Olympic quota places by beating France
216-213 in the first round of the team event of the World
Archery Championship at Turin, Italy.
Unfortunately, Indian men`s team comprising of Rahul
Banerjee, Tarundeep Rai and Jayanta Talukdar lost by just a
point, 215-216 against the Chinese team.
In normal course, Indian men would have been out of
contention for Olympic berths but as luck would have it,
Olympic Games` host Great Britain also qualified defeating
Since Great Britain has already been assured of three
quota places as the host, India is in the play-off for the
three berths, the results of which will be known later.
Meanwhile, world champion Korea, China and Ukraine
assured themselves of six quota places (men three and women
Italy, France, USA and Mexico made it to London Olympics
from men`s section. Georgia, India, Denmark, Chinese Taipei
and Russia qualified in women`s category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University