Indian women face France to clinch Olympic berths
Kolkata: The Indian women`s trio of Laishram Bombayla Devi, Deepika Kumari and Chekrovolu Swuro qualified for the elimination round with a creditable fourth-place finish with 4005 points in World Archery Championship in Turin, Italy.
In the elimination round, the Indian trio will have to beat France to earn their quota places for 2012 London Olympics.
The women team`s ninth place finish drew them against 13th placed France in the first round of the elimination which is the last eight stage to be held on July 6.
Double Commonwealth Games gold medallist Deepika was the best among the three as the teen sensation finished ninth in the four-distance qualifying round with a total of 1343.
Bombayla was 15th with 1336, while Chekrovolu was 26th with 1326, according to information received.
Ki Bo Bae of Korea topped the ranking with 1389 followed by her country mate Jung Dosami with 1361.
Defending champions Korea topped the team qualifying round with a total of 4088 points followed by China (4027) and Italy (4012).
The famed Indian men`s trio of Olympian Tarundeep Rai, Jayanta Talukdar and Rahul Banerjee will begin their campaign in the qualification rounds tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener
- An Alaskan village votes to relocate because of global warming
- US Judge blocks federal action on transgender students' bathroom access