Indians happier, healthier than many developed nations
New Delhi: India is way ahead of many developed economies, including the US and the UK, in terms of happy lives and eco-friendliness, with the country cornering the 35th spot among 143 nations.
The `Happy Planet Index (HPI)` compiled by UK-based New Economic Foundation has placed India at the 35th position while the list is topped by Costa Rica.
The index is based on high life expectancy, high life satisfaction and ecological footprint - a measure which takes into account carbon emissions by individuals.
Going by the report, the US is at the 114th spot while the UK is better placed at 74th position.
Among the BRIC nations, Brazil and neighboring China are ranked higher at ninth and 20th places, respectively. Russia is a distant 108th.
The survey noted that "the countries that are meant to represent successful development are some of the worst- performing in terms of sustainable well-being.
"It also reveals some notable exceptions less wealthy countries, with significantly smaller ecological footprints per head, having high levels of life expectancy and life satisfaction.
In other words, it shows that a good life is possible without costing the Earth".
The index provides a measure of the ecological efficiency with which happy and healthy lives are supported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people