Indians happier, healthier than many developed nations
New Delhi: India is way ahead of many developed economies, including the US and the UK, in terms of happy lives and eco-friendliness, with the country cornering the 35th spot among 143 nations.
The `Happy Planet Index (HPI)` compiled by UK-based New Economic Foundation has placed India at the 35th position while the list is topped by Costa Rica.
The index is based on high life expectancy, high life satisfaction and ecological footprint - a measure which takes into account carbon emissions by individuals.
Going by the report, the US is at the 114th spot while the UK is better placed at 74th position.
Among the BRIC nations, Brazil and neighboring China are ranked higher at ninth and 20th places, respectively. Russia is a distant 108th.
The survey noted that "the countries that are meant to represent successful development are some of the worst- performing in terms of sustainable well-being.
"It also reveals some notable exceptions less wealthy countries, with significantly smaller ecological footprints per head, having high levels of life expectancy and life satisfaction.
In other words, it shows that a good life is possible without costing the Earth".
The index provides a measure of the ecological efficiency with which happy and healthy lives are supported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested