Indians happier, healthier than many developed nations
New Delhi: India is way ahead of many developed economies, including the US and the UK, in terms of happy lives and eco-friendliness, with the country cornering the 35th spot among 143 nations.
The `Happy Planet Index (HPI)` compiled by UK-based New Economic Foundation has placed India at the 35th position while the list is topped by Costa Rica.
The index is based on high life expectancy, high life satisfaction and ecological footprint - a measure which takes into account carbon emissions by individuals.
Going by the report, the US is at the 114th spot while the UK is better placed at 74th position.
Among the BRIC nations, Brazil and neighboring China are ranked higher at ninth and 20th places, respectively. Russia is a distant 108th.
The survey noted that "the countries that are meant to represent successful development are some of the worst- performing in terms of sustainable well-being.
"It also reveals some notable exceptions less wealthy countries, with significantly smaller ecological footprints per head, having high levels of life expectancy and life satisfaction.
In other words, it shows that a good life is possible without costing the Earth".
The index provides a measure of the ecological efficiency with which happy and healthy lives are supported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi