Indians win two more gold on final day of weightlifting
Dhaka: Indians ruled the roost in
weightlifting, claiming both the gold medals on offer on the
concluding day of the event on Tuesday in the 11th South Asian
Indian lifters had the best day so far with Srinivasa Rao
Mallisetty and Sandeep Kumar winning a gold each at the
National Sports Council Gymnasium hall here.
Sandeep was no match for Sri Lankan Manjula Sampath
Aberathne in the men`s above 105kg category as the Indian
lifted 335kg (145 snatch +190 in clean and jerk) en route to
Feroz of Bangladesh bagged the bronze medal.
Srinivasa and Sajjad Amin Malik of Pakistan had a tie for
the top spot in 105 kg category as both lifted 327kg (150
snatch + 177 clean and jerk) each.
But the Indian edged out the Pakistani for the gold medal
on basis of a lesser body weight.
Sri Lankan Thusitha Srimal Abeykoon had to settle for the
bronze with a total lift of 279kg (120 snatch + 159 clean and
India bagged three gold, one silver and one bronze in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway