India’s 1st GM vegetable Bt brinjal gets nod
New Delhi: Country`s biotechnology regulator Genetically Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) on Wednesday gave environmental clearance to Genetically Modified Bt brinjal.
The GEAC gave its nod after assessing the recommendations of a special committee set up to study Mahyco`s biosafety data accumulated for over nine years of its research on Bt brinjal.
Now the government has to make its stand clear on the issue.
If approved, GM brinjal will then be introduced to Indians for the first time even as food-experts have raised concern over the lack of bio-safety data of such crops having environmental implications in the country.
GM crops are those in which genetic material (DNA) is altered for some perceived advantage either to the producer or the consumer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!