India’s 1st GM vegetable Bt brinjal gets nod
New Delhi: Country`s biotechnology regulator Genetically Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) on Wednesday gave environmental clearance to Genetically Modified Bt brinjal.
The GEAC gave its nod after assessing the recommendations of a special committee set up to study Mahyco`s biosafety data accumulated for over nine years of its research on Bt brinjal.
Now the government has to make its stand clear on the issue.
If approved, GM brinjal will then be introduced to Indians for the first time even as food-experts have raised concern over the lack of bio-safety data of such crops having environmental implications in the country.
GM crops are those in which genetic material (DNA) is altered for some perceived advantage either to the producer or the consumer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets