India`s economic strategy effective in global crisis: FM
Pune: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday
said that the Indian government`s economic strategy had
blunted the impact of current global downturn.
Referring to the world economic crisis, he said, "India`s
strategy helped us to come out substantially unhurt" even if
not completely insulated.
Mukherjee, who was speaking after being honoured with
the 2009 Lokmanya Tilak award here, said nobody would have
imagined that the mighty US economy would plunged into a
crisis of such a magnitude.
"What should have remained confined to the US banking
system, resulted into a global crisis," he added.
The Finance Minister noted that the India`s banking
system rested on a sound footing following the nationalisation
effected years ago.
On the contrary, the salvage packages in the
industrialised countries were being used to revive their
banking sectors, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday