India`s exports likely to remain same: Scindia
Mumbai: India`s exports are likely to
remain same at the last year`s level of USD 168 billion owing
to global slowdown.
"We will try to achieve last year`s export turnover
of USD 168 billion in the current fiscal," Minister of State
for Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia said here on
the sidelines of Chemxcil`s award giving ceremony here.
Chemxcil is an export promotion council set up by the
Ministry of Commerce & Industry for chemicals, pharmaceuticals
and cosmetics sectors.
The Government had fixed the target for USD 200
billion of exports for the current fiscal while announcing the
interim trade policy in February.
Scindia, however, recently informed the Rajya Sabha
that the target was "unlikely to be achieved" due to
continuing global financial crisis and economic slowdown.
Certain sectors of exports like, gems & jewellery and
chemical were showing signs of improvement in the export
markets, but overall things were not bullish.
"Our exports fell by 33-34 per cent last fiscal.
However, there were some improvement in the last month, where
exports were down by 28 per cent over the corresponding month
last fiscal," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical