India`s farm exports up 40 percent in last 3 years
New Delhi: The country`s farm product exports in value terms have surged by about 40 percent to over Rs.80,600 crore in the last three years, with foodgrain, oilmeals and fruits and vegetables witnessing maximum demand in the overseas market.
"The value of exports of the agricultural products has increased by about 40 percent during the last three years," a government statement said on Wednesday.
The official data showed the country`s farm exports stood at Rs.80,613.01 crore in the 2008-09 fiscal, compared with Rs.57,376.67 crore in the 2006-07 fiscal.
The sale of foodgrain in the overseas market jumped to Rs.15,089.80 crore from Rs.7,670.51 crore, while oilmeals shipment rose to Rs.10,269.24 crore from Rs.5,504.32 crore.
Export of fruits and vegetables increased to Rs.4,399.04 crore from Rs.2,960.50 crore in the review period.
Among other commodities, the export of tobacco and spices also witnessed a sharp rise in the last three years. Tobacco shipments rose to Rs.3,457.79 crore from Rs.1,685.16 crore, while spices export went up to Rs.6,338.13 crore from Rs.3,157.89 crore.
Export of tea and coffee rose marginally at Rs.2,687.63 crore and Rs 2,255.76 crore, respectively in the last three years.
Interestingly, agri-product export rose significantly by over 29 percent during 2007-08 from previous year. Comparatively, the shipments in 2008-09 grew by only 8.66 percent, the data showed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?