India’s first Aerospace SEZ launched in Belgaum
Belgaum: (Karnataka): Aerospace and engineering major QuEST Global today launched the country`s first aerospace Special Economic Zone here for development and manufacture of aerospace precision engineering products.
Inaugurating the SEZ, Civil Aviation Minister Praful
Patel said India was set to emerge as a major destination in
aerospace engineering after showcasing its strength in IT and
The SEZ has come up on a 300 acre site at an investment
of Rs 150 crore.
"Had India not notched up a faster growth in aviation
sector and acquired a large number of aircraft, its capability
in aviation engineering would not have been noticed. The
offset clause of defence and civilian aircraft purchases had
also helped foreign majors to look at us," he said.
Patel lauded the role played by Karnataka in promoting
the aerospace industry saying "Indian companies based in
Bangalore and Mysore have taken up major works for leading
international aviation companies".
It was important that both the Central and state
governments facilitate aerospace industries which were
positioned well to be the next big players in the sector, he
Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa said the SEZ here would
act as a catalyst to foster economic growth in this region.
"We are in the process of acquiring 5,000 acres of land to
develop industrial clusters across the state", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter