India`s services exports basket needs to be expanded: Scindia
New Delhi: Minister of State for Commerce
and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia on Friday said the country`s
export basket of services needs overhauling in order to grab
number one position in shipments.
"Basket of services need re-engineering. Today our basket
is mainly of IT and BPO. We have to expand it to education,
tourism, engineering and other spheres and make sure that we
become market leaders," Scindia said at a valedictory session
of CII National Conference on "Services Export" here.
He added that the bouquet of services should be as wide
and comprehensive as possible.
Scindia said that the services sector has given face to
Stressing the need to tap new markets like West Asia,
South Africa, Asean, CIS countries and Latin America, to
compete with the neighouring countries, he said, "The
government needs to play a role in bringing structural changes
in policies to allow sectors like healthcare, education,
engineering and aviation to flourish."
Referring to countries like China, he said that the
country should focus on low cost and greater quality services.
India`s services exports in 2007 (calendar year) stood at
over USD 85 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya