Indo-Pak express roots for a tennis match across Wagah border
Melbourne: The Indo-Pak pair of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi urged their respective governments to allow a tennis match across the Wagah border
Both Bopanna and Qureshi said the initiative was now backed by the world tennis body -- International Tennis Federation -- and an international peace group -- Peace and Sport -- a non-governmental organisation run by Prince Albert
The duo hoped that the match, a part of their "Stop War Start Tennis" campaign, would play a positive role in bringing the two divided countries together.
"A lot of good things have been achieved, the ITF is now supporting this, Peace and Sport is also supporting this," Qureshi said.
"The letters have gone to the prime minister and president of both countries. It is a political issue and there are a lot of security concerns, so we are just hoping that the governments will give us the green light so we can play that match on the border."
Both Bopanna and Qureshi are hoping for a positive response, with the Pakistani saying that things are going in the right direction.
"Last year, at the US Open, both the UN Ambassadors for Pakistan and India came and watched our matches, which was a huge thing and they are supporting the cause as well.”
"Things are going in the right direction, we just have to keep playing our matches and get more and more publicity on the bigger occasions. Hopefully it will happen this year."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in