Indo-Pak pair bites the dust
Chennai: Second seeded Indo-Pak combine of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-ul-Huq Qureshi bite the dust losing their doubles quarterfinal match 4-6 5-7 against unseeded American-Dutch duo of David Martin and Robinn Haase in the Aircel Chennai Open ATP Tennis tournament here on Thursday.
Playing against a vociferous supportive crowd, Bopanna and Qureshi tried their best to make a match of their rivals, superior play in a evenly fought out match but Haase-Martin held the edge throughout the 70-minute tie.
Spectators were looking for a showdown between Bopanna-Qureshi final against the top seeded Indian pair of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi but their disappointment loomed large as the Indo-Pak duo were silenced but their rivals today.
It was question of grabbing the chances and David in particular excelled whenever needed to with Haase, who had earlier played a long singles match to success after dropping the first set to Yuichi Sugita of Japan (4-6 6-3 6-4).
The win kept alive hopes of winning one more match against American duo of Simon Bolelli and Janko Tipserevic in the next tie before making the final slated for Sunday.
Bopanna-Qureshi favourites to win today’s match were shaky in their starts and their rivals wrested the advantage with a seventh game (vital in doubles matches) breaking Bopanna’s service game.
They were able to keep up their success percentage intact as Martin-Haase went on to break Qureshi twice (third and eleventh games), though they broke back Martin’s seve in the sixth game of second set. Thus, Bopanna-Qureshi could save just two of five break points against them, though they sent out seven aces to four by the Americans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM