Inflation may ease to 6% this fiscal: PMEAC
New Delhi: Prime Minister`s economic panel on Monday said that average inflation this fiscal may ease to 6 percent from about 9 per cent at present.
"I think it (inflation) will be around 6 per cent... probably that is where it will settle down," Prime Minister`s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC) Chairman C Rangarajan said on the sidelines a CUTS event here.
Wholesale price inflation (WPI) in March rose to 8.98 percent, higher than Reserve Bank`s projection.
"I think the inflation will come down in April. What happened in March was quite unexpected... but the food price inflation is coming down. The wheat production is very good. Therefore, I expect the food prices to come down further in April and that should help in the overall headline inflation coming down," Rangarajan said.
On the impact of rising crude oil prices on inflation, he said, that has been shielded so far as retail prices have not been adjusted to international crude prices, particularly with respect to diesel.
"But for some more time, probably we might be able to shield the diesel prices from external influences. About 3-4 months from now when inflation rate falls to a much lower level, perhaps we will have to take a decision on what to do with the diesel prices," Rangarajan said.
When asked if the Greece debt crisis could hit foreign capital flows into India, he said, that may not have a direct bearing on the inflows.
"Total quantum of fund flowing into the emerging market may come down a little bit but as far as India is concerned what will decide it (inflow) will be the perspective on India`s growth and India`s strength and I do not think it will be seriously affected," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!