Inflation: PMEAC expects RBI measures very soon
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s economic
panel on Tuesday said inflation is likely to cross RBI`s projection
and the central bank may take actions in December itself.
"By the end of March 2010, it (inflation) could be close
to seven per cent," Prime Minister`s Economic Advisory Council
chairman C Rangarajan told reporters on the sidelines of a
summit here on Tuesday.
In its October policy review, the Reserve Bank had raised
its projection for inflation at the end of March to 6.5 percent from its earlier view of five percent.
"Usually there is a seasonal decline... but certainly it
appears that inflation by end of March will be higher than
what has been projected earlier by the RBI," Rangarajan said.
The former RBI governor also said the central bank would
keep a watch on inflation, and some moderation can happen
due to its actions, which, he said, is likely this month.
"We need to watch for behaviour of prices in December...
possibly some action will be taken (by the RBI), which can
have a moderating effect (on inflation)," he said.
Inflation for November jumped to 4.78 per cent from 1.34
per cent in October surprising all forecasters and creating
apprehensions of an early withdrawal of soft monetary regime.
"By the end of December, they (RBI) can review the
situation and take action...it (action) could come by end of
December depending how the prices have behaved in December,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill