Inflation rises marginally to 8.31 % in February
New Delhi: Inflation rose marginally to 8.31 percent for the month ended February from 8.23 percent in the previous month, putting pressure on the Reserve Bank to raise interest rates when it reviews the monetary policy later this week.
The rise in inflation was mainly on account of higher milk, edible oil, vegetable and fruit prices. In addition, high fuel prices on account of soaring international crude oil rates also contributed to inflation.
With inflation showing no signs of moderation, it is widely expected that the RBI will raise key policy rates at its quarterly monetary policy review on January 25.
It may be recalled that food inflation, which accounts for over 14 percent of overall wholesale price index (WPI inflation, stood at 10.65 percent in February.
As per the WPI data, the prices of primary articles -- food, non-food articles and minerals -- shot up by 14.79 percent on an annual basis, official data released here showed.
However, prices of certain food items declined on a year-on-year basis.
While wheat became cheaper by 1.67 percent, pulses prices fell by 5.10 percent and rates for potatoes by 11.28 percent.
During the month, fuel and power prices went up by 11.19 percent, driven mainly by a 28.73 percent rise in petrol prices and a 14.99 percent jump in cooking gas (LPG) rates.
At the same time, the manufactured goods group index rose by 4.49 percent on an annual basis. Manufactured items have the highest weight of 64.9 percent in the WPI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi