Injured Cole`s World Cup dreams virtually over
London: Injured England defender Ashley Cole`s chances of playing in this summer`s World Cup are over after it was revealed that he will not play for Chelsea again this season.
Cole broke his left ankle while playing in his club`s Premier League game against Everton on February 11, and underwent an operation to have three pins inserted in the bone.
He has spent three weeks undergoing intensive rehabilitation, but there is still major swelling around the injury.
Stamford Bridge medical team fear his recovery has fallen behind schedule due to the seriousness of the injury.
"Ashley is still in a bad way. We were hoping he would be further on in his recovery but the signs are not good as far as the World Cup is concerned. At best, it is touch and go for South Africa,” quoted a Chelsea source, as saying.
"It`s hugely unlikely he will play another league game this season and that only leaves the FA Cup or Champions League finals to prove his fitness," the source added.
England manager Fabio Capello`s 30-man preliminary squad joins up on May 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?