Injured Del Potro doubtful for French Open
Buenos Aires: Former U.S. Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro has torn a hip muscle and looks almost certain to miss the French Open, his coaching staff said on Monday.
Del Potro, who won his first grand slam title at the U.S. Open in 2009, pulled out of the Madrid Masters tournament last week due to the injury and the French Open starts in less than two weeks` time.
The 1.98-metre 22-year-old had tests in Buenos Aires on Saturday that showed an eight millimetre tear in a left hip muscle, his staff said in a statement.
"We still don`t know how long it will take for Del Potro to return to the circuit but it is most probable that he won`t get to play the second Grand Slam of the season, Roland-Garros," they said.
Del Potro was quoted on the statement as saying: "I started rehabilitation today (Monday) and I will do all I can to play in Paris.
"I want to take things calmly without hurrying my return to the circuit."
Del Potro, ranked 31 after winning his ninth title at Estoril on May 1, has been making a comeback this season after missing almost all of last year following wrist surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal