Injured Ghana captain Mensah to miss African Nations Cup
Accra: Ghana captain John Mensah will miss this month`s African Nations Cup finals after picking up a hamstring injury, the Ghana Football Association said on Friday.
Mensah, who suffered the injury playing for Sunderland in the English Premier League, joins fellow defender John Paintsil on the sidelines after the Fulham player twisted his knee last weekend.
Ghana have named Jonathan Mensah, who has just moved to Italian side Udinese from Free State Stars in South Africa, as a replacement for Mensah, while Paintsil will be replaced by Twente Enschede`s Ransford Osei for the tournament in Angola.
Ghana had on Thursday called up Derek Boateng to replace Paintsil but said his Spanish club Getafe had refused to release him citing a FIFA rule that requires national associations to give clubs two weeks` notice before calling up their players.
Ghana are in Group B with Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso and Togo for the tournament which starts on Jan. 10.
Goalkeepers: Daniel Agyei (Liberty Professionals), Richard Kingson (Wigan Athletic), Philemon McCarthy (Hearts of Oak)
Defenders: Eric Addo (Roda JC), Lee Addy (Bechem Chelsea), Harrison Afful (Esperance), Samuel Inkoom (FC Basle), Jonathan Mensah (Udinese), Hans Sarpei (Bayer Leverkusen), Isaac Vorsah (Hoffenheim)
Midfielders: Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu (Sampdoria), Opoku Agyemang (Al Sadd), Anthony Annan (Rosenborg), Dede Ayew (Arles-Avignon), Rahim Ayew (Zamalek), Haminu Dramani (Lokomotiv Moscow), Michael Essien (Chelsea), Moussa Narry (Auxerre)
Forwards: Dominic Adiyiah (Fredrikstad), Matthew Amoah (NAC Breda), Kwadwo Asamoah (Udinese), Asamoah Gyan (Stade Rennes), Ransford Osei (FC Twente).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?