Injured Hewitt faces Wimbledon fitness race
Eastbourne: Australia`s Lleyton Hewitt made a dramatic mid-match exit while trailing 2-6, 0-3 to Olivier Rochus in his first-round match at Eastbourne on Tuesday.
Hewitt, the former number one and 2002 Wimbledon champion, left the court after 40 minutes of his opening match in the Wimbledon warm-up event.
The 30-year-old has yet to make a successful comeback from spring foot surgery, losing early last week in Halle, Germany, where he was defending the title, and failing to complete his opening match here at Devonshire Park.
The Aussie said he had tweaked his ankle during the quarter-final loss at Halle last week and felt it was useless to go on in the match with Belgium`s Rochus.
He said he played with pain-killers but still felt constant pain.
"It was touch and go whether I`d be able to play here anyway," he said.
"I slipped over last week at the end of the first set against (Philipp) Kohlschreiber (in the Halle quarter-finals) and stirred up the foot that I had surgery on.”
"Since then I`ve just been trying to get treatment. I`ve been talking with the doctors here.”
"It just hasn`t quite improved as much as I would have liked by today, but I wanted to come out and try anyway. I obviously have to focus on Wimbledon now next week."
Hewitt had been having little success in the first-round match, committing 22 unforced errors before calling it quits.
During a change of ends, he walked over to Rochus, shook hands, smiled and walked off court with his bag in front of a stunned crowd.
Hewitt`s former number one ranking of a decade ago now stands at 130th after he fell out of the top 100 in the aftermath of his loss at Halle.
"It`s more stabbing pain the whole time," Hewitt added. "I felt like it was improving pretty well up until last week."
The Australian said he hopes to be fit for Wimbledon, with up to five days left for treatment on the problem.
"It`s frustrating when you know you`ve done all the right things. This is one of my favourite times of the year, playing these grass-court tournaments.”
"So to not be 100 percent and going out there still trying to compete isn`t that easy mentally, either.”
"I`m actually quite happy with my ball-striking at the moment, which is frustrating because my movement is such a big part of my game."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly