Injured sprinter Powell taking it `day by day`
Paris: Former world 100m record holder Asafa Powell said Wednesday that he would be putting his programme for the rest of the season together on a "day to day" basis because of injury.
"Since Paris (Diamond League meet), I have had a lot of problems with my groin and that spread to my back and hamstrings," the Jamaican said on the website of the IAAF.
"I have been unable to train at 100 percent. I have been getting treatment twice a day every day and slowly I am getting better."
"My coach (Stephen Francis) and manager (Paul Doyle) have all my races lined up but I am not even aware of what is next. All I am doing is focusing on getting healthy and back able to race. I am taking it day by day."
Powell withdrew from last week`s Stockholm leg of the Diamond League where he had been hoping to challenge compatriot Usain Bolt, the world and Olympic champion and world record holder, and American Tyson Gay in the 100m.
Bolt suffered his first defeat in two years there when beaten by Gay and on Tuesday announced he was cutting short his season because of back problems that affect his striding power.
Powell said: "I knew it is very difficult. To win against these guys everything has to go right on the day. There is no room for error.
"In Gateshead, Gay won the battle and Bolt did likewise in Lausanne, but I don`t like losing to anybody."
"I know that more people are watching when I race against Tyson or Usain. I know that I should be able to beat these guys and that makes it frustrating. All I will do is push myself harder to be ready to win the next time we race."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!