Injured Torres to play to halt Liverpool slump
London: Ace Liverpool striker Fernando Torres, who is suffering from a groin injury, will defy his doctor’s orders to bring his club out of its slump.
Torres wants to play against Birmingham on Monday despite being told not to play for three weeks.
It could spark a row with Spain who agreed not to pick Torres, 25, for their prestige date with Argentina, The Sun reports.
The Reds striker was advised to rest when he flew to Valencia in the club’s jet to consult Dr Ramon Cugat, who saw Torres last season on boss Rafa Benitez’s recommendation.
Cugat appears to have assured Torres that he would not need surgery if he paced himself properly.
He was back at the Liverpool training ground yesterday and all the signs are he will continue to play through the pain as the Reds seek to halt their disastrous eight-game run with just one win.
Kop skipper Steven Gerrard also managed light training yesterday after being given a pain-killing injection.
Gerrard’s fitness will be closely monitored over the weekend and he too could be patched up and sent out to face Birmingham.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested