Injured Torres to play to halt Liverpool slump
London: Ace Liverpool striker Fernando Torres, who is suffering from a groin injury, will defy his doctor’s orders to bring his club out of its slump.
Torres wants to play against Birmingham on Monday despite being told not to play for three weeks.
It could spark a row with Spain who agreed not to pick Torres, 25, for their prestige date with Argentina, The Sun reports.
The Reds striker was advised to rest when he flew to Valencia in the club’s jet to consult Dr Ramon Cugat, who saw Torres last season on boss Rafa Benitez’s recommendation.
Cugat appears to have assured Torres that he would not need surgery if he paced himself properly.
He was back at the Liverpool training ground yesterday and all the signs are he will continue to play through the pain as the Reds seek to halt their disastrous eight-game run with just one win.
Kop skipper Steven Gerrard also managed light training yesterday after being given a pain-killing injection.
Gerrard’s fitness will be closely monitored over the weekend and he too could be patched up and sent out to face Birmingham.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Mobile communication partially restored in Kashmir Valley
- Madhavan delighted with 'Saala Khadoos' being lauded in Canada
- Ranveer Singh's 6-pack abs will give you serious fitness goals! Watch video
- Rio Olympics 2016: Neymar defends his party boy lifestyle
- Mayawati raises assault on Muslim women by vigilantes in Madhya Pradesh