Injured Van Persie`s World Cup hopes take nosedive
London: Injured Dutch striker Robin van Persie`s hopes of being fit for the World Cup took a nosedive when Arsenal said he could be out of action until May.
"If you are very positive you would say [he will be back in] April," manager Arsene Wenger told the Premier League club`s website (www.arsenal.com) on Tuesday.
"If you`re a bit cautious you say May. It is virtually the rest of the season."
Netherlands start their World Cup campaign in South Africa with a Group E tie against Denmark on June 14.
Van Persie, 26, had an operation on his right ankle after being hurt in a friendly international against Italy last month and the initial forecast was that he would be sidelined for four to five months.
"When you have such a big surgery there is one thing that is important -- the opinion of the surgeon. Will he be the player he was before? We had a clear answer -- yes," said Wenger.
"The second thing that is very important in the first stage after surgery is, has he an infection or not? He hasn`t.”
"The third thing is patience. At the moment he cannot do anything, he is just sitting at home waiting until he can work again. The first two steps have been very successful," added Wenger.
Arsenal are seeking compensation from the Dutch Football Federation as they believe the KNVB initially misdiagnosed the injury.
The KNVB, though, denies any wrongdoing.
Van Persie was in top form before the injury, notching eight goals in 11 matches for Arsenal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!