Injury forces Venus Williams out of Cincinnati Open
Cincinatti: Seven-times grand slam winner Venus Williams pulled out of next week`s Cincinnati Open with a knee injury, the tournament`s organisers said on Friday.
Williams, disappointed to miss out after making her debut in the event last year, said she experienced pain in her knee last week after returning to her normal practice schedule.
"My medical advisors and physio have recommended that I refrain from competition until I am pain free," Williams, whose sister and world number one Serena will not be competing, said in a statement released by the organisers.
"Unfortunately, I am not at a point where I can commit to competing next week."
Despite losing Williams, the event still boasts eight top 10 players on the WTA Tour, and 26 of the Top 30, including defending champion and top seed Jelena Jankovic, defending U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters, and three-time grand slam champion Maria Sharapova.
The main draw action begins on Monday with the final on Aug. 15. The men`s tournament takes place the following week and features Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'