Injury-hit Bayern take point in Hamburg
Berlin: Injury-hit Bayern Munich eked out a goalless draw at old rivals Hamburg on Friday but the Bavarians remain mired in mid-table, nine points adrift of leaders Dortmund.
Bayern were seeking a first win in the Hanseatic city for five seasons but they settled for a point happily enough given the absence of Mark van Bommel, Daniel van Buyten and Miroslav Klose, as well as longer-term absentees Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery.
Bayern can console themselves that they already have a foot in the knockout stages of the Champions League after three wins in three games in a weak group.
But Louis van Gaal’s men have a fight on if they wish to return to that tournament next season via a high Bundesliga finish.
Dortmund will be 12 points ahead of them if they see off fifth-placed Hoffenheim at the weekend and Mainz can also take the gap to 12 points if the joint pace setters can win at third-placed Bayer Leverkusen.
“We have to be satisfied with this point as Hamburg could have won. Everything is possible but we must start racking up more points,” said Bayern defender Philipp Lahm.
Hamburg could have gone third above Leverkusen but missed out after Burkina Faso star Jonathan Pitroipa saw a shot come back off the upright.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!