Injury-hit Bayern take point in Hamburg
Berlin: Injury-hit Bayern Munich eked out a goalless draw at old rivals Hamburg on Friday but the Bavarians remain mired in mid-table, nine points adrift of leaders Dortmund.
Bayern were seeking a first win in the Hanseatic city for five seasons but they settled for a point happily enough given the absence of Mark van Bommel, Daniel van Buyten and Miroslav Klose, as well as longer-term absentees Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery.
Bayern can console themselves that they already have a foot in the knockout stages of the Champions League after three wins in three games in a weak group.
But Louis van Gaal’s men have a fight on if they wish to return to that tournament next season via a high Bundesliga finish.
Dortmund will be 12 points ahead of them if they see off fifth-placed Hoffenheim at the weekend and Mainz can also take the gap to 12 points if the joint pace setters can win at third-placed Bayer Leverkusen.
“We have to be satisfied with this point as Hamburg could have won. Everything is possible but we must start racking up more points,” said Bayern defender Philipp Lahm.
Hamburg could have gone third above Leverkusen but missed out after Burkina Faso star Jonathan Pitroipa saw a shot come back off the upright.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview