Injury rules Sehwag out of T20 World Cup
New Delhi: Even before the start of T20 World Cup 2010, there was some bad news for Team Indian as mercurial opening batsman Virender Sehwag was ruled out of the tournament on Tuesday due to a shoulder injury, sustained during the ongoing Indian Premier League season three.
Sehwag’s Delhi team-mate and Delhi Daredevils captain Gautam Gambhir has been named as the vice-captain while in-form Chennai opening bat Murali Vijay would replace him in the 15-member World Cup squad.
Sources claimed that Sehwag, who had suffered a similar injury ahead of last T20 World Cup, has been advised four-week rest.
Sehwag was not at his best in the IPL-3, averaging just around 25 while his team Delhi Daredevils failed to qualify for the semi-finals.
"Virender Sehwag has sustained a shoulder injury and has been advised rest for three-four weeks. He has therefore been ruled out of the ICC World T20," BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"The ICC`s Technical Committee has permitted a replacement for him. The All-India Senior Selection Committee has accordingly picked Murali Vijay," he added.
Incidentally, Sehwag had been injured in the 2009 edition of the T20 World Cup as well when he travelled to England with the squad but did not play a game.
The swashbuckling opener has been rather subdued in the ongoing Indian Premier League where his team Delhi Daredevils could not reach the semifinals.
Sehwag did play the Daredevils` last IPL match against Deccan Chargers on Sunday but his contribution with the bat was a mere eight before Chaminda Vaas removed him.
In contrast, Chennai Super Kings batsman Vijay has been in tremendous form in the IPL and the highlight was his breathtaking 56-ball 127 against Rajasthan Royals.
The Twenty20 World Cup 2010 begins on April 30 in West Indies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'