Insecure Gomez fed up with being substituted
Munich: Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez, the Bundesliga`s most expensive ever purchase, is already feeling insecure at his new club.
German international Gomez, who signed for more than 30 million euros during the close season from VfB Stuttgart, has netted six times in nine matches in all competitions this season but has frequently been substituted or left on the bench.
"I need full confidence for my game," Gomez said after scoring in the German Cup second round against Oberhausen on Tuesday.
"I have enough confidence from my home but when you are at a new club and you play the first six matches, you score goals and then you are taken off, you start wondering why?" he told reporters.
After scoring Bayern`s second just before halftime against Oberhausen in their 5-0 win, Gomez was taken off to make way for Italian striker Luca Toni, returning after months out following a heel injury.
"I was brought in to get goals. Being substituted makes he insecure," he said.
Bayern have recovered from a slow start to the season and three successive league wins have moved them up to third, three points behind leaders Hamburg who they play away at on Saturday.
Undefeated Hamburg have the league`s best attack with 16 goals in six games, despite being without injured striker Paolo Guerrero who will be out for months with a cruciate ligament injury.
Second-placed Bayer Leverkusen, level on 14 points with Hamburg, travel to improving Cologne while fourth-placed Hoffenheim entertain Hertha Berlin, under immense pressure following five straight defeats that have sent them to the bottom of the table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- DNA: Analysing how plastics are devastating our health silently
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'