Inter to keep controversial 2006 title

The saga over the fate of the 2006 Italian title appears to be finally over after the football federation (FIGC) decided it did not have the authority to take the scudetto away from Inter Milan, Italian media reported on Monday.

Last Updated: Jul 18, 2011, 22:24 PM IST

Rome: The saga over the fate of the 2006 Italian title appears to be finally over after the football federation (FIGC) decided it did not have the authority to take the scudetto away from Inter Milan, Italian media reported on Monday.

Inter, who were handed the 2006 title by default after table-toppers Juventus were demoted and second-placed AC Milan docked points for influencing the selection of referees, had been under investigation since last year after new evidence emerged in the criminal case into the match-fixing scandal.

Lawyers said phonetaps also implicated Inter in the affair for the first time but the club denied wrongdoing.
Despite the presentation of a report by FIGC prosecutors accusing Inter of sporting fraud, the FIGC`s executive committee voted by a majority decision in Rome on Monday that a ruling to revoke the 2005/6 scudetto was beyond its jurisdiction, reports said.

The federation was not available for comment.

Bureau Report