International standard archery range in IAF
Shillong: Eastern Air Command has come up with the first `Centre of Excellence` for archery in IAF with facilities of international standards.
Eklavaya Archery Range was inaugurated by AOC-in-C Eastern Air Command Air Marshal K K Nohwar last evening at the EAC headquarters here in the presence of civil and military dignitaries and senior officers, air warriors and their families.
Demonstrations were given by archers from 58 Gorkha Training Centre, Meghalaya Archery Association, Manipur Archery Association and Nagaland Archery Association.
"Primarily archery as a sports discipline has immense potential to enable IAF and India a podium level finish in national and international level tournaments," Air Marshal Nohwar said.
"Air Warriors will be very happy to select archery as their sporting discipline and with perseverance, dedication they would succeed in bringing glory to themselves, to IAF and the nation," he said.
Secondly, he said archery is a very popular sport in the states of North-East.
"These states have a vast pool of talent and this need to be tapped and groomed for participation at higher levels of competition," he said.
The centre of excellence would aim to harness this talent with the active participation of the government and other related institutions of the states.
"We would be happy to provide all help to polish and promote this talent," Nohwar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states