Investor optimism surges to a six-year high: ML survey
New York: Investor optimism about the global economy has soared to its highest level in nearly six years, with fund managers across the world putting their cash back into equity markets, a Merrill Lynch survey said.
A net 75 percent of the fund managers surveyed in August across the globe believe the world economy would strengthen in the coming 12 months -- the highest reading since November 2003.
The reading has significantly increased from 63 percent in July, the report said.
Moreover, confidence about corporate health is at its highest since January 2004, and a net 70 percent of the panel respondents expect global corporate profits to rise in the coming year, up from 51 percent last month.
The August survey revealed that investors were matching their sentiment with action, by investing in equity market. The average cash balances have fallen to 3.5 percent from 4.7 percent in July, their lowest level since July 2007.
Further, equity allocations have risen sharply month-over-month and Merrill Lynch`s Risk and Liquidity Indicator, which measures risk appetites, has also risen to a two-year high of 41.
"Strong optimism in August represents a big turnaround from the apocalyptic bearishness of March. And yet with four out of five investors predicting below trend growth for the year ahead, a nagging lack of conviction about the durability of the recovery remains," Banc of America Securities-Merrill Lynch Research chief global equities strategist Michael Hartnett said.
"The equity rally has been narrowly led by China and tech stocks. We have yet to see investors fully embrace cyclical regions such as Japan or Europe, or Western bank stocks," Hartnett added.
A total of 204 fund managers, managing a total of USD 554 billion, participated in the global survey from August 7 to August 12.
In terms of sectors technology remains the number one sector, with 28 percent of the global fund managers panel being preferring on the industry. However, global fund managers remain concerned about the banking sector. In contrast, investors within emerging markets are positive about banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception