IOA condoles Samaranch`s death
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association condoled the death of former International Olympic Council chief Juan Antonio Samaranch.
In his letter to Samaranch Junior, son of the departed former IOC chief, IOA President Suresh Kalmadi expressed grief over the demise of the man, who had spent 21 years as the top administrator of Olympic sport.
"Samaranch has been known to be a father figure to the sports fraternity amongst Olympic nations. He painstakingly built and promoted the Olympic movement across the world during the stewardship and his contribution as the President of IOC would always be remembered by the posterities in the sports world," Kalmadi wrote in the letter.
"I, on behalf of the IOA, and also on my personal behalf convey heartfelt condolences on this occasion. The void created by his death would be difficult to be filled," Kalmadi said.
Samaranch, who led IOC from 1980-2001, died yesterday in Barcelona.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch