IOA condoles Samaranch`s death
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association condoled the death of former International Olympic Council chief Juan Antonio Samaranch.
In his letter to Samaranch Junior, son of the departed former IOC chief, IOA President Suresh Kalmadi expressed grief over the demise of the man, who had spent 21 years as the top administrator of Olympic sport.
"Samaranch has been known to be a father figure to the sports fraternity amongst Olympic nations. He painstakingly built and promoted the Olympic movement across the world during the stewardship and his contribution as the President of IOC would always be remembered by the posterities in the sports world," Kalmadi wrote in the letter.
"I, on behalf of the IOA, and also on my personal behalf convey heartfelt condolences on this occasion. The void created by his death would be difficult to be filled," Kalmadi said.
Samaranch, who led IOC from 1980-2001, died yesterday in Barcelona.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss