IOA condoles Samaranch`s death
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association condoled the death of former International Olympic Council chief Juan Antonio Samaranch.
In his letter to Samaranch Junior, son of the departed former IOC chief, IOA President Suresh Kalmadi expressed grief over the demise of the man, who had spent 21 years as the top administrator of Olympic sport.
"Samaranch has been known to be a father figure to the sports fraternity amongst Olympic nations. He painstakingly built and promoted the Olympic movement across the world during the stewardship and his contribution as the President of IOC would always be remembered by the posterities in the sports world," Kalmadi wrote in the letter.
"I, on behalf of the IOA, and also on my personal behalf convey heartfelt condolences on this occasion. The void created by his death would be difficult to be filled," Kalmadi said.
Samaranch, who led IOC from 1980-2001, died yesterday in Barcelona.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official