IOA felicitates YOG medallists with cash awards
New Delhi: Delighted with India’s performance in the recently-concluded Youth Olympics Games (YOG) in Singapore, IOA today felicitated the country’s medal winners in the inaugural quadrennial event with cash awards.
Indian Olympic Association President Suresh Kalmadi handed over cheques of Rs two lakh and Rs one lakh each to the silver and bronze medal winners at a felicitation function here.
The 32-member Indian contingent returned with a rich haul of nine medals, including six silver and three bronze from the August 14-26 event.
Apart from IOA, electronics giant Samsung, which was the worldwide partner for the Youth Olympics and the official partner of the Indian contingent, also felicitated the athletes with cash rewards of Rs two lakh and Rs one lakh each to the silver and bronze medallists.
“It’s good to see that we are doing good in Olympic sports. We will make sure that these young athletes get proper training and facilities. We are giving Rs one lakh to the bronze medallists and Rs two lakhs to the silver medal winners,” Kalmadi said.
Arjun, who bagged a silver in discuss throw in the Youth Games, said the monetary purse will motivate youngsters like him to achieve more laurels for the country.
“I was expecting a gold but I’m happy with my achievement. It’s good to see young players like me are getting encouragement. The cash award is a good motivation,” he said.
With the Commonwealth Games round the corner, the IOA chief said he was hoping an impressive showing from the Indian athletes in the October 3-14 megaevent.
“I expect a good result in the Commonwealth Games. We were fourth in the medals tally last time, but I think we will definitely come third this time,” Kalmdi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH