IOA for mandatory dope testing of Indian athletes
New Delhi: Acting Indian Olympic Association President Vijay Kumar Malhotra on Friday wrote a letter to the Sports Ministry, asking to make it mandatory to carry out dope tests for Indian athletes and also added that all participants of the upcoming London Olympics would have to undergo testing before the event.
Malhotra also called for an immediate judicial inquiry into the doping incidents, saying that those found guilty should be handed stringent punishments.
Malhotra said a retired judge should be appointed immediately to hold the inquiry and look into the role of all concerned -- athletes, coaches, doctors and staff at different Sports Authority of India centres.
"It is necessary to eradicate the doping menace that has been plaguing Indian sports and we have to go into the bottom of this. A warning should be given to all those involved. Stringent action should be taken as a deterrent," Malhotra said.
Six track and field athletes, including two Commonwealth and Asian Games gold medallists, flunked dope tests for anabolic steroids in just two days.
Mandeep Kaur and Sini Jose, both members of the Indian women`s 4x400m relay quartet that won gold in the Commonwealth and Asian Games last year, quarter-milers Jauna Murmu and Tiana Mary Thomas, long jumper Hari Krishnan and shot putter Sonia were caught for doping.
Mandeep and Jauna flunked out-of-competition tests conducted by International Association of Athletics Federations at NIS Patiala last month while Sini, Mary Thomas, Hari Krishnan and Sonia returned positive in in-competition tests by NADA during June 11-14 Senior National Inter-state Athletics Meet in Bangalore.
Jauna also failed the test conducted by NADA in Bangalore.
All the six athletes have been provisionally suspended till their disciplinary hearings are completed and quantum of punishments decided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL