IOA for mandatory dope testing of Indian athletes
New Delhi: Acting Indian Olympic Association President Vijay Kumar Malhotra on Friday wrote a letter to the Sports Ministry, asking to make it mandatory to carry out dope tests for Indian athletes and also added that all participants of the upcoming London Olympics would have to undergo testing before the event.
Malhotra also called for an immediate judicial inquiry into the doping incidents, saying that those found guilty should be handed stringent punishments.
Malhotra said a retired judge should be appointed immediately to hold the inquiry and look into the role of all concerned -- athletes, coaches, doctors and staff at different Sports Authority of India centres.
"It is necessary to eradicate the doping menace that has been plaguing Indian sports and we have to go into the bottom of this. A warning should be given to all those involved. Stringent action should be taken as a deterrent," Malhotra said.
Six track and field athletes, including two Commonwealth and Asian Games gold medallists, flunked dope tests for anabolic steroids in just two days.
Mandeep Kaur and Sini Jose, both members of the Indian women`s 4x400m relay quartet that won gold in the Commonwealth and Asian Games last year, quarter-milers Jauna Murmu and Tiana Mary Thomas, long jumper Hari Krishnan and shot putter Sonia were caught for doping.
Mandeep and Jauna flunked out-of-competition tests conducted by International Association of Athletics Federations at NIS Patiala last month while Sini, Mary Thomas, Hari Krishnan and Sonia returned positive in in-competition tests by NADA during June 11-14 Senior National Inter-state Athletics Meet in Bangalore.
Jauna also failed the test conducted by NADA in Bangalore.
All the six athletes have been provisionally suspended till their disciplinary hearings are completed and quantum of punishments decided.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram