IOA wants to desist from receiving Ministry support
New Delhi: In a surprising development, the
Indian Olympic Association today conveyed to the Sports
Ministry that it would not require any financial support from
financial year 2010-2011.
Randhir Singh, Secretary General of the IOA, which is
responsible for selecting athletes to represent India at the
Olympic Games and other international athletic meets, has
written a letter to the Ministry conveying their decision.
"The Indian Olympic Association would like to thank the
Government of India for the financial support it has provided
to the Indian team till now under the aegis of Indian Olympic
"As the autonomy of the National Olympic Committee of
India -- the Indian Olympic Association is supreme, the Indian
Olympic Association would like to desist from receiving any
further financial support from the Government of India from
financial year 2010-2011," the letter said.
"Thank you very much for your support," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology