IOA wants to desist from receiving Ministry support
New Delhi: In a surprising development, the
Indian Olympic Association today conveyed to the Sports
Ministry that it would not require any financial support from
financial year 2010-2011.
Randhir Singh, Secretary General of the IOA, which is
responsible for selecting athletes to represent India at the
Olympic Games and other international athletic meets, has
written a letter to the Ministry conveying their decision.
"The Indian Olympic Association would like to thank the
Government of India for the financial support it has provided
to the Indian team till now under the aegis of Indian Olympic
"As the autonomy of the National Olympic Committee of
India -- the Indian Olympic Association is supreme, the Indian
Olympic Association would like to desist from receiving any
further financial support from the Government of India from
financial year 2010-2011," the letter said.
"Thank you very much for your support," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress