IOC wins Obaidullah Gold Cup Hockey Tournament
Bhopal: Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) won its
maiden title in the 65th All-India Obaidullah Gold Cup Hockey
Tournament being played at the Aishbagh Stadium here by
defeating BPCL 3-2 in a closely contested final last evening.
Captain Deepak Thakur opened IOC`s account in the 12th
minute through a brilliant field goal to take a 1-0 lead for
Seven minutes later, forward Ramandeep Singh of IOC again
scored a brilliant field goal taking a lead of 2-0.
Defender V R Raghunath of IOC converted a penalty corner
in the 23rd minute to further consolidate the lead to 3-0.
Till breather, IOC led 3-0.
However, in the second half, BPCL players played some
aggressive hockey and hit two goals in the last 12 minutes of
The first goal for BPCL was scored by Gurpreet Singh
through a penalty corner in the 58th minute while the second
one was struck by Jarnail Singh through a brilliant field
goal, a couple of minutes before the final whistle which
reduced the margin to 2-3.
BPCL got eight penalty corners but converted only a
single into the goal while IOC earned two penalty corners and
succeeded in converting one of them.
Skipper Deepak Thakur was adjudged man-of-the-match for
his brilliant field goal and nice moves.
Earlier in a hardline match, Air India beat ONGC 4-3
to grab the third position.
Madhya Pradesh Urban Administration Minister, Babulal
Gaur gave away the trophy to the winners IOC along with a
cheque worth Rs 11 lakh while the runners-up BPCL got Rs 5.50
The third and fourth place holders -- Air India and
ONGC -- were awarded Rs 2.75 lakh and Rs one lakh
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory