IOC wins Obaidullah Gold Cup Hockey Tournament
Bhopal: Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) won its
maiden title in the 65th All-India Obaidullah Gold Cup Hockey
Tournament being played at the Aishbagh Stadium here by
defeating BPCL 3-2 in a closely contested final last evening.
Captain Deepak Thakur opened IOC`s account in the 12th
minute through a brilliant field goal to take a 1-0 lead for
Seven minutes later, forward Ramandeep Singh of IOC again
scored a brilliant field goal taking a lead of 2-0.
Defender V R Raghunath of IOC converted a penalty corner
in the 23rd minute to further consolidate the lead to 3-0.
Till breather, IOC led 3-0.
However, in the second half, BPCL players played some
aggressive hockey and hit two goals in the last 12 minutes of
The first goal for BPCL was scored by Gurpreet Singh
through a penalty corner in the 58th minute while the second
one was struck by Jarnail Singh through a brilliant field
goal, a couple of minutes before the final whistle which
reduced the margin to 2-3.
BPCL got eight penalty corners but converted only a
single into the goal while IOC earned two penalty corners and
succeeded in converting one of them.
Skipper Deepak Thakur was adjudged man-of-the-match for
his brilliant field goal and nice moves.
Earlier in a hardline match, Air India beat ONGC 4-3
to grab the third position.
Madhya Pradesh Urban Administration Minister, Babulal
Gaur gave away the trophy to the winners IOC along with a
cheque worth Rs 11 lakh while the runners-up BPCL got Rs 5.50
The third and fourth place holders -- Air India and
ONGC -- were awarded Rs 2.75 lakh and Rs one lakh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?