iPad 2 tablets for kindergarten students
Boston: Looks like crayons, finger paints and alphabet blocks as teaching tools are old school. Kindergarten students in Maine will now learn their ABCs and 123s on the latest iPad 2 tablets.
A school district in Auburn, Maine will dish out 200,000 dollars to buy iPads for nearly 300 kindergarten pupils for the next school session starting around August this year.
Apart from their alphabets and numbers, the kindergarten students will learn drawing and music on the hi-tech gadget through apps for phonics, building words, letter recognition and letter formation.
The iPad is a powerful education tool with hundreds of teaching applications, Superintendent Tom Morrill said in a Boston Globe report.
"With its touchpad screen, it is simple to use and can bring learning to life with imagery and sounds. It`s a revolution in education," he said.
The school board had last week unanimously approved the plan to give all kindergartners iPads next fall.
Maine had distributed Apple laptops to all seventh and eighth graders in 2002 and 2003, becoming the first state to equip students statewide with computers.
The state Department of Education believes Auburn is the first school district in Maine that will give iPads to kindergartners, the Boston Globe report said.
Schools in Omaha, Nebraska; Columbiana, Ohio and Scottsdale, Arizona are among other places where kindergarten pupils are using iPads.
Angus King, the former Maine governor who launched the state`s laptop programme, lauded the idea of iPads in kindergarten saying anything that holds the attention of pupils will help in the learning process.
"If your students are engaged, you can teach them anything," King said.
"If they`re bored and looking out the window, you can be Socrates and you`re not going to teach them anything. These devices are engaging," he said.
However some education experts and parents are not sold on the idea of using iPads for kindergarten pupils.
The USD 200,000 proposed for iPads "might be better spent on some other school programme," said parent Sue Millard.
She also questioned whether kindergartners are old enough to appreciate the effort.
"I understand you have to keep up with technology, but I think a 5-year old is a little too young to understand," she said.
Larry Cuban, a professor emeritus of education at Stanford University and the author of `Oversold and Underused: Computers in Schools,` said there`s no proof that computers bring learning benefits to pupils who are young.
"There`s no evidence in research literature that giving iPads to 5-year-olds will improve their reading scores," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday