IPL bans Ravindra Jadeja for a year
Mumbai: India’s rising star Ravindra Jadeja has been banned from Indian Premier League’s third season after his franchisee- Rajasthan Royals, has banned him for one year for ‘anti-team activities’.
The 21-year-old all-rounder is believed to have invited the wrath of his team after it was learnt that the Saurashtra player was accused of trying to bypass IPL rules.
Sources in the cricket league revealed that Jadeja tried to negotiate with another franchise.
“It has come to our notice that he was trying to violate all the franchisee and IPL rules," an IPL official said. "He tried to bargain about his fees with his team. Such indiscipline cannot be tolerated.”
After a complaint was lodged against Jadeja, the IPL authorities made inquiries and then unanimously decided to ban him from the league for 12 months.
Jadeja, who played a stellar role for the Jaipur team in IPL-I, was originally bought by the Royals for Rs 12 lakh. His performance led to his inclusion in the India ODI and Twenty20 squads. To date, he has played 19 ODIs and five Twenty20 internationals.
Rajasthan Royals CEO Sean Morris confirmed that Jadeja had been left out of the final squad for the season.
Morris agreed that the franchise had taken the matter up with the IPL governing council. But he expressed ignorance of any action being taken against the player by the IPL.
"We work with the IPL authorities," Morris said. "It is a continuous process. I am in London now. I do not know what action has been taken against Jadeja."
Specifically asked if the player had been hobnobbing with any other franchise, Morris neither confirmed nor denied it. "I do not know if he was doing it," he said.
Friday was the last day for the IPL teams to submit their final squads for the third season than commences on March 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire