Mumbai: India’s rising star Ravindra Jadeja has been banned from Indian Premier League’s third season after his franchisee- Rajasthan Royals, has banned him for one year for ‘anti-team activities’.
The 21-year-old all-rounder is believed to have invited the wrath of his team after it was learnt that the Saurashtra player was accused of trying to bypass IPL rules.
Sources in the cricket league revealed that Jadeja tried to negotiate with another franchise.
“It has come to our notice that he was trying to violate all the franchisee and IPL rules," an IPL official said. "He tried to bargain about his fees with his team. Such indiscipline cannot be tolerated.”
After a complaint was lodged against Jadeja, the IPL authorities made inquiries and then unanimously decided to ban him from the league for 12 months.
Jadeja, who played a stellar role for the Jaipur team in IPL-I, was originally bought by the Royals for Rs 12 lakh. His performance led to his inclusion in the India ODI and Twenty20 squads. To date, he has played 19 ODIs and five Twenty20 internationals.
Rajasthan Royals CEO Sean Morris confirmed that Jadeja had been left out of the final squad for the season.
Morris agreed that the franchise had taken the matter up with the IPL governing council. But he expressed ignorance of any action being taken against the player by the IPL.
"We work with the IPL authorities," Morris said. "It is a continuous process. I am in London now. I do not know what action has been taken against Jadeja."
Specifically asked if the player had been hobnobbing with any other franchise, Morris neither confirmed nor denied it. "I do not know if he was doing it," he said.
Friday was the last day for the IPL teams to submit their final squads for the third season than commences on March 12.