`Iran dominant player in Iraq politics`
Paris: Tehran is a "dominant player" in Iraq using "all means of diplomacy, intelligence and economy" to get a pro-Iranian regime there, leaked US diplomatic cables
published by a newspaper said on Sunday.
"Iran is one of the dominant players in Iraqi electoral politics," US ambassador to Baghdad Christopher Hill wrote on November 13, 2009, according to Le Monde`s
translation of the WikiLeaks cable.
Tehran "uses all the means of diplomacy, security, intelligence and economic tools to influence its allies and its Iraqi detractors to establish a more pro-Iranian regime,
in Baghdad as well as in the provinces," Hill wrote.
To achieve this Iran "has understood that it needs to show great operational and sometimes ideological, flexibility."
It is "not rare" for Iran "to finance and support Shiite or Kurdish rivals -- and sometimes even Sunni – with the aim of developing financial dependence," Hill wrote.
"Exact figures are unknown but Iranian financial assistance to those who accept it is estimated to be USD 100 to 200 million (75 to 150 million euros) a year."
Hill said that Iran`s main political obstacle in Iraq "remains the dominant authority and the religious credibility incarnated by Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, who, while an
Iranian national, is a critic of the `Wiliyat-i-Faqih` (Guardianship of Islamic Jurists) doctrine in power in Iran."
In another cable dated September 24, 2009, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki says that Iran reportedly "envisaged launching long-range missiles" at the Ashraf refugee camp
north of Baghdad.
The camp is home to around 3,500 supporters of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, principally the People`s Mujahedeen of Iran that advocates the overthrow of
the Islamic regime in Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery