Iran makes arrests over torn Ayatollah photo
Tehran: Iranian state radio is reporting that authorities have arrested several people accused of involvement in destroying photos of the country`s supreme leader and the revered founder of the Islamic Republic.
In student demonstrations last week, supporters of Iran`s pro-reform opposition movement burned and trampled on pictures of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. They oppose him for backing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s disputed June re-election.
But the opposition denies tearing up a photo of the leader of Iran`s 1979 revolution, the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who remains a widely respected figure in Iran.
They accuse the government of staging video of someone destroying Khomeini`s picture to discredit their protest movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical