Iran makes arrests over torn Ayatollah photo
Tehran: Iranian state radio is reporting that authorities have arrested several people accused of involvement in destroying photos of the country`s supreme leader and the revered founder of the Islamic Republic.
In student demonstrations last week, supporters of Iran`s pro-reform opposition movement burned and trampled on pictures of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. They oppose him for backing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s disputed June re-election.
But the opposition denies tearing up a photo of the leader of Iran`s 1979 revolution, the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who remains a widely respected figure in Iran.
They accuse the government of staging video of someone destroying Khomeini`s picture to discredit their protest movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report