Iran makes arrests over torn Ayatollah photo
Tehran: Iranian state radio is reporting that authorities have arrested several people accused of involvement in destroying photos of the country`s supreme leader and the revered founder of the Islamic Republic.
In student demonstrations last week, supporters of Iran`s pro-reform opposition movement burned and trampled on pictures of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. They oppose him for backing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s disputed June re-election.
But the opposition denies tearing up a photo of the leader of Iran`s 1979 revolution, the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who remains a widely respected figure in Iran.
They accuse the government of staging video of someone destroying Khomeini`s picture to discredit their protest movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley