Iraqi president dies at 79
Baghdad: Iraqi President Jalal Talabani died Tuesday after being admitted to a Baghdad hospital following a brain stroke. He was 79.
He had been confronting various health problems in recent years.
"President Talabani died today after fast deterioration in his health in a Baghdad hospital," reported Xinhua quoting presidential sources.
It was earlier reported, citing a medical source, that Talabani had been admitted to Baghdad hospital in a critical condition late Monday night. He was unconscious due to brain stroke.
The presidential office, in an earlier statement, had said Talabani was admitted to a hospital in Baghdad "because of fatigue and tiredness".
Talabani had held a meeting Monday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to discuss means to ease latest tension between Baghdad and the autonomous region of Kurdistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday