Iraqi president dies at 79
Baghdad: Iraqi President Jalal Talabani died Tuesday after being admitted to a Baghdad hospital following a brain stroke. He was 79.
He had been confronting various health problems in recent years.
"President Talabani died today after fast deterioration in his health in a Baghdad hospital," reported Xinhua quoting presidential sources.
It was earlier reported, citing a medical source, that Talabani had been admitted to Baghdad hospital in a critical condition late Monday night. He was unconscious due to brain stroke.
The presidential office, in an earlier statement, had said Talabani was admitted to a hospital in Baghdad "because of fatigue and tiredness".
Talabani had held a meeting Monday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to discuss means to ease latest tension between Baghdad and the autonomous region of Kurdistan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan