Iraqi president dies at 79
Baghdad: Iraqi President Jalal Talabani died Tuesday after being admitted to a Baghdad hospital following a brain stroke. He was 79.
He had been confronting various health problems in recent years.
"President Talabani died today after fast deterioration in his health in a Baghdad hospital," reported Xinhua quoting presidential sources.
It was earlier reported, citing a medical source, that Talabani had been admitted to Baghdad hospital in a critical condition late Monday night. He was unconscious due to brain stroke.
The presidential office, in an earlier statement, had said Talabani was admitted to a hospital in Baghdad "because of fatigue and tiredness".
Talabani had held a meeting Monday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to discuss means to ease latest tension between Baghdad and the autonomous region of Kurdistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police