Irfan Pathan in support of Narendra Modi
Kheda: Cricketer Irfan Pathan on Wednesday shared the stage with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the campaign rally of BJP, the party which is trying to appease minority community voters in the state.
During the rally for the second phase polling in the state, Irfan was seen standing besides the Chief Minister on the huge stage.
Irfan, who belongs to Vadodara and has been forced out of cricketing action by an injury, waved his hands to a huge gathering of supporters, who had come to listen Modi`s speech.
In September 2011, Modi had launched `Sadbhavana Mission` for peace and amity and to appease minority community voters.
However, the BJP has not fielded any candidate from the minority community for the Assembly elections.
Central Gujarat comprises the tribal and minority dominated belt of Panchmahal and Dahod and the Patel-dominated belt of Kheda, Anand and Vadodara.
The first phase of Assembly elections are scheduled for tomorrow while the second phase voting is on December 17. Counting of votes is on December 20.
Speaking at the rally, Modi said, "The menace of price
rise will uproot the Congress."
"Gujarat has a strong co-operative sector in milk production and even Congress leaders in Delhi consume milk from Gujarat. Yet, they have placed 30 per cent tax on milk due to which its prices have increased," he said.
Likewise, due to rising diesel prices, the cost of vegetables has also increased, he said.
If someone promises something and fails to deliver on it, the person has a duty to come to the people and state the reason of being unable to fulfil the promise, but when Sonia Gandhi came to Gujarat she did not say a word on rising prices, the Chief Minister said.
Commenting on Rahul Gandhi, he said, "Rahul Baba stayed in UP for months. He went to homes of poor, lifted children, the photo session went on for 12 months. But, the number of photos taken was more than the number of votes he got! People know such leaders well."
He said the Congress neither has people nor issues in this election. Using their money power, the Congress may be all over the newspapers and television but they will not be able to enter the hearts of the people of Gujarat, he added.
Modi alleged that it`s been 40 years since the Congress promised `Garibi Hatao` but have they adhered to their promise? Similarly, the Congress promised to bring prices down in 2009 within 100 days of getting elected, but prices have increased since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt