Irish fans protest at French embassy for replay
Ireland: Up to 200 Irish fans protested at the French embassy in Dublin on Saturday to demand a replay of Wednesday’s controversial World Cup playoff.
The French Football Federation (FFF) has ruled out a replay, saying on Friday world governing body FIFA’s decision that the result should stand was final.
“We regret that despite our best efforts for a replay, which would have restored the integrity of the game in front of a world-wide audience, our calls appear to have fallen on deaf ears at the French Football Federation,” John Delaney, chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland, said in a statement earlier on Saturday.
Irish fans had already held a similar demonstration on Friday.
“We will continue to call on FIFA to take action to ensure that such damaging examples of cheating are not allowed to recur,” Delaney said.
The association appealed to FIFA for a replay after France striker Thierry Henry handled the ball setting up William Gallas’s extra-time equaliser in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw in Paris that sent France to the World Cup with a 2-1 aggregate win.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'