Irish fans protest at French embassy for replay
Ireland: Up to 200 Irish fans protested at the French embassy in Dublin on Saturday to demand a replay of Wednesday’s controversial World Cup playoff.
The French Football Federation (FFF) has ruled out a replay, saying on Friday world governing body FIFA’s decision that the result should stand was final.
“We regret that despite our best efforts for a replay, which would have restored the integrity of the game in front of a world-wide audience, our calls appear to have fallen on deaf ears at the French Football Federation,” John Delaney, chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland, said in a statement earlier on Saturday.
Irish fans had already held a similar demonstration on Friday.
“We will continue to call on FIFA to take action to ensure that such damaging examples of cheating are not allowed to recur,” Delaney said.
The association appealed to FIFA for a replay after France striker Thierry Henry handled the ball setting up William Gallas’s extra-time equaliser in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw in Paris that sent France to the World Cup with a 2-1 aggregate win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends