Ishant draws first blood; Paranavitana departs
Ahmedabad: Delhi pacer Ishant Sharma made the first breakthrough of the morning for India, claiming Tharanga Paranavitana at a score of thirty five runs. He was caught behind stumps via a brilliant collection by Dhoni.
Sri Lanka were 37/0 at lunch on Day 2, a good performance by them in the session that saw India being wrapped-up before unleashing a mammoth score.
India were all out for 426 runs on the second day’s morning. The efforts of the batsmen would culminate into a psychological advantage for the hosts.
Dhoni’s men had crossed the 400-run mark with Zaheer and Bhajji spanking a few boundaries, simply frustrating the bowlers and building up on bonus runs. The fall of Zaheer came to a doubtful LBW decision when he was at a score of twelve.
Sri Lanka were dangerous yet again in the morning, claiming Rahul Dravid, even before he could add to his overnight score of one hundred seventy seven runs.
The man responsible for India’s top order collapse of the opening day, C Welegedara, was his nemesis. He took his wicket tally to four and the heartening thing for the pacer was that all his victims were top notch batsmen in world cricket.
The second day of the first Test had started with great expectations from ‘The Wall’, Dravid, who was inching towards a sublime double century.
The first boundary of the day came off the bat of Harbhajan Singh and got his name in the history books as a Test all-rounder having more than 1500 runs and 300 wickets to his name.
A splendid 224-run partnership between Dravid and skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni helped India rise from the rubble and score a fine 385/6 on the opening day.
Dravid and Dhoni also claimed their 27th and 2nd Test centuries in the process, respectively. The former had also completed his 11000 runs in Test cricket during the marathon innings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi