Ishikawa shows respect but no mercy in Presidents Cup debut
San Francisco: Ryo Ishikawa may not have won the Presidents Cup but came out on top in the battle of the generations, driving at least one member of the triumphant United States team into `retirement`.
The 18-year-old Japanese showed plenty of respect for his elders but no mercy by beating 49-year-old Kenny Perry 2&1 in the singles on Sunday, to leave the veteran American jokingly contemplating quitting the game.
"I`m retired...he (Ishikawa) sent me right into retirement, that kid," laughed Perry, who has three children older than his opponent. "He beat me (in) three matches.
"He was paired with Y.E. (Yang) and I lost twice to him. I spent three rounds with him and was pretty impressed. He played awesome. I threw a lot at him."
Ishikawa, who has won four events on his home tour this season, impressed by posting a 3-2 record on his Presidents Cup debut, second best on the International team with Ernie Els.
Perry was far from the only one impressed by Ishikawa`s play and poise in front of hordes of Japanese media who descended on Harding Park for the biennial event to follow him.
"What was I doing when I was 18? I had about a 20 handicap, I was surfing and I wasn`t winning golf tournaments like he is, that`s for sure," said International team captain Greg Norman.
"He only turned 18 a month ago.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'