ISI masterminded attack on Pak journo in US

On his visit to the United States America in December 2011, Editor-in-Chief of Friday times Najam Sethi was attacked.

Dinesh Sharma

New Delhi: On his visit to the United States of America in December 2011, Editor-in-Chief of Friday Times Najam Sethi was attacked.

According to highly placed intelligence sources, the attack took place in New York City. Sethi, a senior Pakistani journalist, who is known for being vocal was pelted with stones.

Sources have informed Zee News that Colonel Tariq of Pakistan`s
external intelligence agency Inter Service Intelligence (ISI), who is posted
as a Consular in the Consulate General of Pakistan in New York
executed an order for attacking Sethi during his visit to the
US. According to the sources stones were pelted on Najim but he
escaped with minor injuries.
Surprisingly, Najim Sethi did not file a complaint in the
United States and only when he returned back to Pakistan, did he
report to senior Pakistani government officials that he was being
trailed by the ISI. He did not however, share details about the

In response to an enquiry by Pakistan Army Chief General Pervez Kiyani
and then ISI Chief Shuja Pasha, Col Tariq informed them that attack on
Sethi was on the dotted lines as was ordered by them.

Sources have further informed Zee News that Col Tariq was promised a “prize posting” by his seniors for overseeing the attack and is supposed to return back home this year itself.
Col Tariq is the ISI undercover in CG at New York. He had also handled the Mansor Ijaz Memo case.

Najam Sethi is an award winning Pakistani journalist, editor, and
media personality, he is the editor-in-chief of The Friday Times, a
Lahore based political weekly, has been the editor of Daily Times and
Daily Aajkal newspapers. Sethi also does a current-affairs program on
Geo TV, Pakistan`s most popular private news channel.

Sethi was awarded the 2009 Golden Pen of Freedom award, the annual press freedom prize of the World Association of Newspapers. Sethi’s
publications have been seen in conflict with Pakistani governments on
various occasions. He was part of the "London Group" of Pakistani
leftists that supported an uprising in Balochistan in the 1970s.

In May 1999, he was imprisoned for one month without trial. The
government publicists and super patriots in Pakistan launched a smear campaign against him, calling him all kinds of names.