It is for the defence ministry to release more spectrum: DoT
New Delhi: The Department of Telecom is hopeful that the Defence Ministry will release more spectrum for the 3G radio wave auction scheduled for next month.
Now that we have got the Cabinet approval for laying an alternate dedicated network for the defence, we are hopeful that defence will release more spectrum, a DoT official said.
The alternate optical fibre cable project will enable the defence to release more radio waves.
Earlier, the Department of Telecom had signed an MoU with
the Ministry of Defence as per which the defence shall release
another 10 mhz 3G spectrum by June 2010.
The Ministry of Defence has already released 10 mhz for
3G auction. With DoT getting the approval from the Cabinet
Committee on Infrastructure earlier this month, DoT feels that
the defence should look at releasing some more spectrum.
Asked if there would be any meeting scheduled to discuss this, the official said meetings are ongoing on a weekly basis. They have been informed of this and keeping the defence`s convenience in mind, the minister has already announced that the allocation of spectrum to the auction winners will be in August only.
Earlier an inter-ministerial panel led by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had decided that there would be four slots to be auctioned and spectrum allocation will be done simultaneously by August.
The official said the auction should be able to generate the budgeted resources. Efforts are being made to make enough spectrum available and rules bidder-friendly.
The government is targeting to raise anything between Rs 30,000 crore and Rs 35,000 crore from the proposed 3G and Wimax auction. This revenue generated through auction of the spectrum will help the government bridge the steep fiscal deficit.
The reserve price for pan-India 3G spectrum has been fixed at Rs 3,500 crore, while that for Wimax at Rs 1,750 crore. 3G will allow high-end services such as ultra-fast internet, interactive gaming, video conferencing, mobile TV and high-speed downloads of movie and music clips on mobile phones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH